Nov 30, 2022  
2022-2023 Student Handbook 
2022-2023 Student Handbook

Counseling and Student Health


Student Health

Elizabethtown College collaborates with Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health to provide comprehensive clinical health services for our students.  To be connected with Student Health Nurse Kati Frey, RN (or other medical staff) to address health concerns, please call the LG Health Physicians Family Medicine Sycamore Square phone line for Etown College students at 717-588-1059.    Students can also call Kati for consultation and, if needed, assistance with transportation to the Sycamore Square facility  (which is about a four minute drive from the Etown College campus, at the following address:

LG Health Physicians Family Medicine Sycamore Square

99 Masonic Drive, Suite 101

Elizabethtown, PA 17022

Phone:  717-588-1059. For a medical crisis, please call the 24/7 Campus Safety number of 717-361-1111.

For more information, please visit




Counseling Services

Counseling Services provides a broad range of counseling and mental health support services that facilitate our students’ personal, social, and academic development. Our licensed mental health professionals provide short-term individual counseling, group counseling, crisis intervention, and consultation to currently enrolled students for no additional charge. Counseling services are provided in a confidential and diversity-affirming environment to help students address a variety of mental health, situational, and developmental concerns.  Our office is located in the Baugher Student Center, Suite 216.  Appointments can be made in person or by calling 717-361-1405.  Urgent walk-in services are also available.  To access our after-hours crisis services, please call the 24/7 Campus Safety number of 717-361-1111.

Counseling Services Website

Notification Process for Brief Absence for Medical or Personal Reasons

The Associate Dean of Student Success or designee may notify faculty and staff when a student is unable to attend classes due to brief illness, injury, hospitalization, death of a loved one or other personal circumstances. The notification is to facilitate communication only and does not supersede individual course attendance policies, assignment due dates, or scheduled exams. Students are responsible for discussing options for completing missed coursework with faculty (due date modifications, course incomplete, course withdraw). Students who require accommodations should contact Disability Services.  The student or family member may call 717.361.1415 for more information. For more information regarding a formal leave or withdrawal from the College see Leave of Absence, Withdrawal, Medical Withdrawal.

Campus Wellness Network (CWN)

The Campus Wellness Network is an on-campus resource that helps to identify and intervene with at-risk students in our Elizabethtown College community. This action group meets bi-weekly to discuss particular referrals, and follows students and their concerns to conclusion.

Any member of the Elizabethtown College community can contact CWN. Names and contact information for members of the CWN can be found on the website.  Should you wish to refer a student to the CWN, you may contact any member of the committee with the student’s name and the concern.   Referrals will be shared only with members of the committee. The student’s name will be presented to the group by the contact person, the situation will be discussed and, if an intervention is needed, the professional most appropriate for the student’s situation will respond to the need.

Policy Regarding Immunization/Communicable Diseases

The College requires proof of immunization against rubella (3-day measles), rubeola (measles), mumps, hepatitis B, meningitis, tetanus and pertussis (Tdap vaccine), varicella (chickenpox) and polio, as well as  tuberculosis screening.  The College reserves the right to add immunizations to this list of requirements at any time if it determines it is beneficial to the health and safety of the College community.

Immunization records or applicable waivers must be submitted to the Student Health Services Office prior to a new student occupying on-campus residence halls or attending their first class. Incoming undergraduate students and summer program students may request a medical or religious exemption. Requests for a medical exemption must include a signed statement from the student’s physician indicating the medical reason the student cannot receive immunization or vaccine. Requests for religious exemption must include a sworn statement from the student explaining the student’s sincerely-held religious belief or practice and how the belief or practice conflicts with the requirement to be immunized.  The College may request supporting documentation or information, including, where appropriate, confirmation from clergy or religious leaders. All requests must include a signed Vaccination Waiver Form found on JayWeb under “online forms”.

Failure to provide immunization records in a timely manner may result in an interim separation from the institution. Prior warning will be given, and written notice of interim separation will be provided by the Dean of Students. Interim separation for failure to provide current immunization records does not require any hearing process.

The College reserves the right to deny access to the campus to anyone when the College determines that they present an unreasonable risk to health or safety resulting from an infectious or contagious disease.  If, after gathering relevant information, the College determines that a student with an infectious or contagious disease is able to meet acceptable performance standards and that health and safety risks can be managed through reasonable accommodations, the College will not deny the student access to its educational programs. In order to help the College protect the safety and well-being of the College community, students are encouraged to report cases of infectious or contagious disease or other serious illness to the Associate Dean of Students for Counseling and Student Health.