Jan 28, 2023
The Religious Studies minor consists of 20 credits in the field of religious studies. Religious studies minors are encouraged to see a member of the Department for advising.
Student Learning Outcomes for Religious Studies minor:
Students will be able to:
Analyze religion from different perspectives using primary and secondary literature.
Apply diverse theories and methods to examine religion.
Evaluate how their work in various courses and other learning contexts in the departmental program has prepared them to put their learning to work in the world.
Integrate religious studies literature into their own commentary on religion in the public sphere.
The following course is required:
Choose electives totaling at least 16 credits from the list below:
- REL 103 - HUM Religion and Nonviolence
- REL 125 - HUM Shared Scriptures of Jews and Christians
- REL 151 - Life Meaning and Purposeful Work
- REL 205 - SSC Theories and Methods in the Study of Religion
- REL 213 - PLO Biblical Hebrew I
- REL 214 - Biblical Hebrew II
- REL 215 - Koiné Greek I
- REL 216 - Koiné Greek II
- REL 217 - PLO Sanskrit I
- REL 218 - Sanskrit II
- REL 225 - NCH The Hebrew Bible and Ancient Near East
- REL 226 - WCH The New Testament
- REL 252 - Vocation and Church in the 21st Century
- REL 253 - Theology Through Film
- REL 261 - Peacemaking and Social Justice in the Bible
- REL 267 - HUM Progressive Religion
- REL 284 - Anabaptist and Pietist Movements
- REL 287 - The Story of Christianity
- REL 290 - NCH Dharma Traditions: Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, and Sikh
- REL 293 - Islam
- HRE 285 - HNR WCH Amish, Brethren, and Mennonites in the U.S. Since 1875
- HRE 289 - HNR Communal and Utopian Societies
- HI 235 - SSC Citizenship and Conscience
- REL 313 - Intermediate Biblical Hebrew
- REL 320 - Philosophy of Religion (PH 320)
- REL 321 - The Bible and Race in the United States of America
- REL 323 - Women, Gender, and the Hebrew Bible
- REL 331 - Ethnicity, Gender, and Religion
- REL 344 - The Nonviolent Ethics of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- REL 364 - Amish Society (SO 364)
- REL 370-378 - Special Topics in Religious Studies
- REL 391 - Modern Hinduism
- REL 392 - Religion in China and Japan
- REL 393 - Indian Philosophy
- REL 470-474 - Internship in Religious Studies
- REL 480-489 - Independent Study in Religious Studies
- REL 490 - Independent Research in Religious Studies
- ILS 330 - Comparative Theology and Interfaith Engagement
- SO 317 - Sociology of Religion