Elizabethtown College’s Bachelor of Science degree in Human Services, offered through the School of Graduate and Professional Studies, seeks to provide a broad-based knowledge of the human services field, as well as to stimulate a comprehensive understanding of the underlying issues that influence the application of theory and practice in today’s society. The adult student will study the inter-relationship of issues and the manner in which the various components of the human services function in order to administer services in today’s ever-changing communities. Coursework provides learning outcomes designed to ensure that adult students can critically examine human services strategies and demonstrate effective communication skills related to implementation and problem solving.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, employment in the human services field is projected to grow faster than in most other fields over the next 10 years. The long term outlook for job opportunities is excellent, particularly for degree level applicants. Career opportunities in human services include: case managers, addictions counselors, community outreach workers, mental health assistants, gerontology assistants, welfare reform advocates, and administrators and managers, among others. For the individual already working in the field, the program offers the opportunity to enhance existing skills and provide a vehicle for advancement. Students graduate with a set of skills and competencies that position them to compete and to succeed in the rapidly changing professional world.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Students will be able to
- implement a personal philosophy of human services in the workplace.
- apply theory, practical skills, and an interdisciplinary approach to human services to the work environment and community-at-large.
- apply interpersonal and group communication skills.
- apply critical thinking skills and problem-solving strategies to the profession of human services.
- apply counseling skills.
- make decisions in an ethical and socially responsible manner.
- demonstrate leadership and professionalism in the field.